Biking Can Be Dangerous
Here is the best picture I could take of the big bruise on my leg. Saturday I got out my road bike, polished it up, cleaned and greased up the chains and was all ready to ride, when I remembered I needed to pump up the tires. Much to my dismay the back tire was flat, and not patchable. I removed it from the bike and fixed it up with my last tube. I decided to try something new and rode from my house down to the Cedar River Trail. Today, however, was an entirely different story, with some good parts and some bad. To start, as you'll recall I used my last tube on Saturday, so riding with a prayer in my heart and great faith that there was no way I could blow two tires in less than a week, I set off towards the Cedar River Trail once again. Two miles into it my back tire was already on it's way to being flat. I stopped and took it off, and in the process a fellow (and much more experienced might I add) rider saw me in my moment of despair, offered me one of his tubes if I needed it, and began to help me fix my tire. It ended up being a faulty valve, so I took him up on his offer for the tube and let him replace the tube and pump my tire (I think it made him feel fatherly). I set off on my way again, on a ride as smooth as butter. Thoroughly enjoying myself by this time, and passing mile 5 of the ride, I came to an intersection. I mistook where the trail went off the curb and slammed on my brakes, forgetting in the meantime to also unclip my foot from the pedal, I fell. In less thana second the entire left side of my body smacked against the cement still connected to my bike. I guess I'm pretty lucky that all I have are bruises because going the speed I was I probably could have broken something as well (The prayer in my heart WAS good for something!). The moral of this story is always find ways to help others in need because you never know when you might need the help in return AND pray before you ride!
9 comments:
Ouch! I hope you're okay. I don't know why you think you have a boring life. Your blogs are about all your adventures. Mine are just about baby stories (which are fun and exciting...). I'm so glad you started a blog!
P.S. We better make plans for you to come this summer before Tyler grows up too much!
I love that you bike. I use to bike and it inspires me:) My mom called to say she is headed to New York to stay will AL for a awhile. I hear he is biking like crazy. Must run in the family. We need to get- together sometime. LOve the bolg! Lovies, Missy
Grandpa told me this information and said it was a secret! He didn't want anybody to know I guess (until he decided to tell them). So, don't say I told you, because Missy let the cat out of the bag!
But in my defence-- I had no clue it was a secret:) oops! I guess we are a closer family than we thought- at least in the cats out of bags department. I have never thought they should be in bags anyways... who wants to be in a bag. I'm just glad my mom doesn't read my blog and I sure your grandpa doesn't do the computer thing right? I hope!!! But when I talked to him today he said nothing about a secret. Just that he choose a visit with my mom over the goats... hee hee. Who knows perhaps the goats will be appleaing after the visit.
It's a good thing we aren't easily offended in our family, expecially with all this crazy gossip going around. Grandpa was busted by all yesterday, Megan read all about it on Missy's blog, so I guess that's that....he he he
Hey I just noticed that you had a blog! How fun...now I will know what is going on with you. It looks like things are going well with you...just be careful on that bike.
Alyssa, now that we are done talking about Al & Mary Ann...How did you get home? Is the bike damaged as well? How are you feeling today?
Megan
I'm fine. I am going to take a picture of the raspberry on my leg tonight and post it for everyone to see and it hurts a little to lift my left arm up. Also, I think I have a bruise on the back of my head (must be from the helmet). Other than that I'm A-OK and my bike looks great!
I say we are close enough to family...and thus i put you in my family category...whether you really want to claim us as family is another issue.
Post a Comment