"Fate chooses your relations, you choose your friends." - Jacques Delille (1738 - 1813).
Something I've been thinking about for awhile is friends, and I have lots of them. I think part of that is the fact that I will talk to anyone, whether they want me to or not. Sometimes though, I get to feeling like I live the life of a friendship nomad perhaps because I have lived in multiple places over the last 10 years including, Idaho, Washington, Utah, Colorado and Ohio I have moved in and out of people's lives in a hurry, and sometimes I just start feeling guilty, like I have been a bad friend because I am so terrible at keeping in touch. There have been so many people I have cared about so much, and still do care about but its not like I'm actually picking up the phone and calling them on a weekly basis. I guess my point to all of this is that, I'm sorry, sorry I am that friend who is bad at calling and sorry I'm that friend who is good at moving away. To all my friends over the years I still think about you and thank you for being my friend at a time when I needed you in my life. For the rest of this blog entry, I am just going to write individually about my friends--your first name and something about you that reminds me of you. If you are reading this feel free to comment, it would be nice to hear from you! Also, apologizing now to anyone I leave off...I'm sorry in advance.
Andrea: Full-size Brad Pitt cutout poster coming with us for night on the town, prank calls from the Chinese restaurant.
Collin: You always made fun of me for my "Mormon" ways and yet always stood up to other people who tried to do the same...
Carrie: Camping at Baker Lake, jumping on your trampoline, our horrible 16th birthday party
Jen: Chocolate chip cookies and you taught me the ropes of thrift shopping (of which I'm still no good at)
Jason: "If I were a hot dog!" and Mariner's baseball
Danielle: Softball, camping, girl scout camp, New Kids on the Block....Sugar the cat
Amanda: Alfy's pizza after our games and all night out at Sherri's
Nisha: My first room mate ever! Hairspray and fun! You made the first year away from home really great. The grover voice. Always the entrepreneur.
Lael: Driving me to the MTC, Sunday dinners with your family, running races together, I still have the blanket you made and sent to me on my mission!
Dayeong: Good Korean times on and off the mission. You always kept me well fed and whenever I see snickerdoodles I think of you.
Emily: Laughing. I always laughed with you because you are hillarious. Also, I envy your artistic skills to this day all the things you do amaze me.
James: Driving to everywhere and nowhere in the black Jetta...random adventures that were always fun. Cutting down a Christmas tree in the dark.
Shannon: "I want to share the gospel with you!"..long drives in the middle of nowhere in Colorado. The Phone Call...what a great movie!
Jake: Music, music, music...that's what I think of when I think of you, I am still listening to Sufjan Steven thanks to you.
Leaa: My most loyal friend in the entire world. You saved me during my last college years. Shared groceries and our crappy house that we loved anyway! Working at Bed Bath and Beyond together...helping me to get back into the real world when we got off our missions.
Tyler: Hiking, running, snowboarding and fun. You are always up for anything...including Nair and nail polish! Remember home movies and going out to the farm and hiking up the hill? What about Mail Box Peak? You almost killed me. Your parents are like my second parents, your mom wrote me every week of my mission and used to feed me dinner almost every night of the week.
Kristi: Commercial art, Boston Market and mashed potatoes and calculus. Spanish club and everything else. We always threw the greatest parties because we loved decorating so much.
Stacy: I still remember when you got your braces? and remember prom and how you let me highlight our hair the night before? The Beast and toilet paper. You and the Titanic song...I still hate it! Fun in the singles ward.
Diane: camping and sharing a tent for a month. You getting married on me when we were supposed to be room mates (don't worry I do not hold this against you)!!!
Tyler: Always a great friend to just sit and talk to. I still remembering sitting in my backyard for hours with our feet in the kiddie pool.
Jenna: Even though we have lived in a lot of the same places the only time we end up seeing each other is when we go back home! Remember the recovery period after the missions? Dinner at you parents and running into you at RICKS and BYU. Swimming in the ocean, not getting eaten by sharks.
Molly: Almost ten years younger then me, but a friend from the very start. gCHAT, gCHAT, gCHAT!
Diana: I know your entire life story...amazing what people talk about on the trail!
Aaron: Always a big truck around...and a broken down jeep. The friend who always paid for everyone at dinner and the hardest worker I have ever met!
Sarah: Running, hiking, backpacking and everything in between. Sleeping in a tent in my back yard and freaking out and coming inside! My sidekick in hobbies and all things crafty
Julie: Craiglist...the greatest way on earth to find a roomate. Two years of bliss and fun...adopting cats together and trying to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Trips to World Market.
Melissa: The Jetta that smelled like crayons. Playing hookie to put in laminate flooring. Sharing clothes and a bathroom. The Office. Dwight is still on my desk.
Carrie: Camping at the beach, riding the mopeds. Cycling (I'm pretty sure we never did this together, but we always talked about it).
Melanie: The greatest person I have ever met in my entire life. Hours of "therapy" sessions from my counselor in training. You were someone I could always just sit and talk to for hours.
Jesse: Anything adventurous and fun. Climbing over train cars to see Great Blue Herons nesting and then realizing they were only a short ways from the parking lot of the gas station. Backpacking.
Amy: Europe. I still have the perfect picture in my mind of me getting off the train in Germany and the doors closing and taking you along with it to its next stop an hour away! Eating good food!
Shlece: Working out on our lunch break. Commuting. Surviving the vivarium...
Carly: New York at Christmas and girl time. Long talks and hanging out. Crafts are fun when done right. The outlet mall and sharing my pain over watching a certain someone try on a certain leather jacket a billion times over multiple trips.
Katy: The only two people to show up for a relief society activity but we still had fun anyway on our 5 mile hike!
Tara: You could always make me laugh. You always know when everyone is in need. My support system when I needed it to get the job done!
Jon: Friend by default when you moved into town and your sister left town for a month. You could always make me laugh. I remember listening to MIA in your car for the first time. I didn't like her then, I still don't really like her now.
Wendy: Hey BFF. I realize that I am now number two but I feel at peace with that. I heart that you hate hearts. One of few people who truly understood me all the time. Movies on Lifetime and ABC family on Friday night. The farm and Hank.
Moroni: Wendy is okay that you are my number one now. I love you. You are my best friend. Thanks for liking me anyway, even though I'm the grossest girl you've ever met. Cycling in the cold, the heat and every other temperature. Going to multiple festivals just for fun. World Market, REI and climbing to the top of the hill just for me. Psych. Learning how to deal with hair and windows down in your car in the summer.
7 comments:
ummmm...you forgot me!
Yay for Gchat! You have to start remembering though that if I am red I can still chat!
I thought about you today in RS ... You were my first example of a good visiting teaching companion and it has helped me ever since!
So it's rare that I get to read blogs anymore these days but Lucy is having a hard night so here I am. It made my day to read your post. You are such an amazing person and no matter the distance and time between talking I will always consider you one of my very best friends. I love you.
Amy...It was a debate as to whether or not I would write something about you on this post...since you are one of my best friends, but since you are my sister, that also makes you family and since I talk to you just about everyday still, I don't feel guilty about being a terrible friend to you because I am not!
Alyssa! I love you, girl! I will never forget our dancing in the kitchen with Brad Pitt, making exercise machines out of our kitchen chairs, walking through the Death Pit (aka the icy sidewalk), and so much more that I can't even list it. You were THE BRIGHT SPOT in my trying 1st year of college. Thank you for letting me come visit you in Seattle, not once but twice! Maybe 2011 should include a reunion in OH!
Melanie! I am so glad you wrote...you in particular are always someone I feel guilty about never talking too! I'm glad Lucy had a bad night:) so you could read my blog....okay not really but really.
Andy,
Don't you have to come to Ohio for your company or something? I don't know if an Ohio reunion in winter will be a fun idea...considering how much i hate the winter here...but spring is great...we should do it then.
Post a Comment