
This picture is taken from a website about the Alum Creek Trails. http://parks.columbus.gov/Facility.aspx?id=27060
Moroni lives off of the worst street in the world to bike on or even walk on. We have attempted once and after that I swore I would never bike on it again. It is a narrow, two-lane road with multiple curves, no sidewalks and blind shoulders that people drive on at 45mph. I have cycled on many types of roads in my life but never one where I have seen my own life flash before my eyes. About 2-5 miles up and down the road from his house are trail heads. One is the start of the Alum creek north trail and the other is the start of the Alum Creek South trail. But there was absolutely nothing in between. So every time I wanted to run or just go on an easy bike ride, I would have to drive to either trail head. Then one beautiful day last Spring we noticed a sign that said "DO NOT ENTER, Alum Creek Trail Construction" and much to our delight it was the beginning of the connecting trail between the North and the South trail sections. Last Sunday we walked behind his neighborhood (about a block, its a small neighborhood) and much to my surprise there was a trail there. It wasn't paved but it was well groomed. So this week the adventures began. Sarah and I ran on it on Tuesday in order to see how far it goes, and it almost connects to the existing trail and today Moroni and I took a walk and a good portion is now paved. I am so excited I can't even say. It's going to be so nice to just head out the back door when I get home and go for a run or hop on my bike and ride right out of the house without driving to a trail head. Pretty soon the trail will be connected and will complete a 19 mile trail which also connects to other trails throughout Columbus. I'll never have to drive anywhere again! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment