Here is a brief update of some stuff I've been up to.
1. SCHOOL...that's right school, but I took my last final for the school year last Tuesday, and am not too sad about not attending classes for the entire summer. It was a tough quarter, partially due to the fact that the weather was good, and I would have rather been outside on the weekends, and partially due to the fact that I was burned out on Biochemistry...only two more classes of Biochemistry to go! I will not be starting up with actual classes again until next year, but that's not a problem it will be a much lighter load.
2. JOINING A LAB. For those of you who don't know how this graduate program works, basically the first year of school you we are in the market for a lab to join. We have a list of 160 scientists who we then have to search through and determine whether or not we'd be interested in the research that they do. And then find three to do rotations in (that actually have the money to take a grad student on for the remainder of their graduate career). This may sound relatively simple...but I can assure you is not and was in fact probably one of the most stressful parts of this last quarter for me. The news is is that I did join a lab. I will be in a lab that focuses primarily on Liver and Pancreatic fibrosis.
3. Other activities: I will now post some pictures of some of the stuff I have been doing this past month and a half...
Moroni will probably kill me for posting this picture because we look terrible, but we've been biking some...in this particular ride we got caught in a rain storm.
Hiking and Metro parks....I'm learning Ohio style wilderness adventures everyday. It's not the Cascades or Utah...but it does have it's own gems. Around Columbus and beyond they have what are called "metro parks", which I would assume, as an outsider, to be merely another park with a swing set and slide. But this is not the case. You can actually hike in these places! And they are not just cement trails either...I mean it's a little more urban but it's still outdoors, so I'll take what I can get. The park I'm posting below is called Clear Creek Metro Park
The Olenatangy Indian Caverns
This Saturday we went to these caves...which were pretty cool...or at least cool in the sense that they felt really good--54 degrees, as opposed to the 94 degrees it was outside with 75% humidity. They weren't bad, just I'm glad that we had a two-for-one coupon. They did tell us, which we didn't see, that there was a lake below us and cave fish...now that would have been worth the full price.
So adios for now. I will hopefully be keeping up on the blog a little better this summer, since I will for sure have more time on my hands. And hopefully will have some good adventures to share over the next few weeks. My grandpa Al may be coming out in the middle of June for a week and then Moroni and I will be heading for Washington the last week in June.
4 comments:
Very Happy to know you are alive 1st and having a happy busy life 2nd:). If you are ever headed to Utah let us know:) Lovies, Missy
Blah, blah, blah... you know I'm just looking for "and... I'm getting married!" or did I miss that post:)
You guys have been having lots of fun...but yuck, okay double yuck that Moroni is holding that snake! I about lost my dinner when I saw that. I've never been one to to like those slimy sick things!
OK - so looks like you've been having a blast! I've missed out on a few years of Alyssa, so it's been awesome to read up on your adventures! I'd love to hear more about this Moroni... do share! e-mail me at cartierfam@msn.com and I'll make sure you get an invite to our blog so you can see our little family.
Post a Comment