Saturday, January 19, 2008

Flu Shots and Strep Throat

This year I had a nasal mist in stead of a shot. It's kind of a new thing they have. You can either get the mist or the shot. I chose the mist. The next day I woke up with a horrible sore throat and lovely white globs all over my tonsils. My first premonition was that maybe I had strep throat, but I instead decided that what I had was from the flu nasal mist stuff and that it would go away in a few days. This was last Friday. I woke up this Thursday (almost a week later), and my sore throat had not gotten better but infinately worse. Now, not only did my throat hurt but my right ear as well. I made my first trip over to the Student Health Center. Which actually turned out to be very quick and efficient, and was diagnosed with Strep Throat! The doctor told me, and this is advice for all, that next year I should just go with the shot. It seems that everyone has problems after the nasal stuff. Unfortunately, the antibiotics didn't really kick in until about 24 hours later, so, that night I suffered in pain, alone (because I was contagious) and couldn't even open my mouth to talk, my tonsils were so swollen. At the health center they prescribed me Amoxycillin...I should have asked for liquid, even if it is disgusting, because honestly! Do they really expect a person who can't even open their mouth to swollow pills that large? Oh, well, 24 hours later the antibiotics finally kicked in, I could talk again (a very important part of my day) and felt a billion times better. This is a thanks to the doctors who treated me and to myself for not being resistant to Amoxycillin. I'm glad to not have strep throat anymore.

2 comments:

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

Hey- I have been having strep pain too!!! To bad I was not in Ohio we could have comiserated:) Glad yours is feeling better mine is still so painful they gave me big pain drugs, which usually I never take pain stuff but boy did I love these- plus it was liquid:) Glad to hear you are feeling better finally.

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

How miserable! I can't bring myself to get a flu shot, because I am a baby (hate needles and avoid them as often as possible), but it sounds like I would take the shot over the nasal spray any day!